Monday, 19 June 2017

Still Hovering


One of yesterday's readings was from Genesis chapter 1:
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. (Genesis 1: 1-3)

I had a picture forming in my mind, although I didn't share it with the congregation, even though we have a time during our service for doing so, because the picture wasn't complete before that time was over. It still may not be complete; it is still forming, even as I write.
It had to do with the Spirit hovering over the waters, and it the picture that began to occur to me was of the Holy Spirit hovering over the towns, cities and communities of Alberta; the territory God has given me to travel, to care about and to pray for. I pictured all the areas I visit, and pictured the Spirit of God hovering over each one. The Holy Spirit is still hovering and as in the beginning, I picture him waiting to create, waiting to accomplish.
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
"And there was light." Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. (John 8:12) He also said that we are the light of the world;
 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14 - 16)
Can both be true, that both Jesus and his followers are the light of the world? Well, yes. Jesus is the light; we are his body, therefore we are the light of the world. We are Christ to the world. It also came to me the picture of a layer of cloud over each area, a layer of cloud that is separating the earth from the hovering Spirit; that is causing, "darkness [to be] over the surface...". But throughout the province, each fellowship of faithful believers is a small point of light. Each point of light, through the prayers of God's people, is able to penetrate this cloud cover, even in the tiniest of ways, but allowing more light to shine back through; to allow the Holy Spirit to touch the earth, bringing renewal.
God's Spirit may not force His way through these clouds, but I believe will intercede in response to the prayers of God's people.

So just as in the beginning God separated light from darkness, Jesus, today, shines light into darkness and brings life to what was once dead. May we, by power of the Holy Spirit, as the clouds of darkness dissipate, see the darkness of night give way to a full and glorious day.

May it be so.

(My metaphor may not be exact; it may seem a bit fragmented, but it is only a picture in my mind, so I leave it with you. Take it as you will.)

Blessings,

John

Will not force Himself in. Will intercede in response to prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment